Thursday, August 28, 2014

Small Town Library

I can remember it as if it were yesterday.  The small library of my childhood was one of my favorite places in the whole world.  Although I LOVED school,  I think I may have loved the library more!  And, I cannot forget the librarian who could, it always seemed, answer and refer me to, anything in the world I wanted more information on.

I remember reading series of books by the same author.  Let's see, I remember the Nancy Drew mystery series, Clara Barton nurse series, and all the Louisa May Alcott books.

Those were the days!  My reading routine included raiding the freezer for homemade chocolate chip cookies and then sitting in a comfortable chair with our golden retriever, Jake, at my feet.  Then the adventure began as I would enter all kinds of different worlds through my reading.

I read all the time, but my favorite time to read is either on a rainy day or in front of a warm fire.  Now, that is heaven!

A service during our Idaho Nampa Mission is making bookmarks for the local libraries and for the Council Senior Center.  A list of some of the reading slogans follow.  I think we all can identify, to some degree, with each of these precious  thoughts.

Reading is dreaming with your eyes open.

I love books because with them you live a thousand lives.

After a couple of minutes reading, the words disappear and a movie with every detail plays in my head.

If the book fits, read it.

Feel the need...the need to read.

One world.  Many stories.

In order to succeed, you must read.

Travel anyplace for free.  Read.

Reading helps your seed of knowledge grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment